Everything is turning “green” these days – “green” soap, “green” pencils, “green” paper. Let’s get out of those quotation marks and start literally eating green! Over the past few weeks, with a little help from the internet and a lot of help from my Magic Bullet, I’ve come to be a smoothie addict. What is so appealing about taking beautiful fresh fruits and veggies and grinding them to a pulp you ask? Well, you tell me another way to get a full serving of spinach and kale into my body while tasting like sunshine in a glass. They’re a great healthy snack or breakfast, and super quick and simple to make.
First I’ll start with the basics of how I go about my smoothie concoctions:
- Pick two or three fruits that would go nicely together (either fresh or frozen)
- Pick a dark leafy green vegetable that seems like it has no place with those fruits
- Chop everything into cubes about the size of dice and throw them into your blender/Magic Bullet
- Fill the space between your yummy health cubes with water *or there’s an option to add a spoonful or two of yogurt if you’re feeling adventurous
- MIX IT UP!
- Pour into a fun glass, stick a crazy straw in and enjoy!
Here are a few tips and tricks I’ve picked up along my smoothie-making journey:
- Adding half an avocado makes your smoothie deliciously smooth and creamy (almost yogurt-like)
- You can buy frozen spinach cubes at the grocery store and add one to the mix to make your smoothie nice and frozen
- Pineapple and banana are attention demanding best friends. These two overpower anything in your smoothie!
- Mixed berries are easy to find frozen (and can be found at Grocery Checkout in the ARC) and are a great dose of antioxidants
- Notice a fruit you can’t pronounce and have never seen while browsing the grocery store? Pick it up! Trying out new mixtures keeps your smoothies fun and exciting.
- If you’re looking for a big kick of health, try adding in a powder health optimizer, my personal favourite is Vega One – Berry (plus it makes your smoothie extra green woohoo!)
I wish you luck on your smoothie making journey and hope you grow to love them as much as I do!
Find an irresistible combo that needs to be shared with the world? Post it in the comments below!